– New Mexico’s Premier Landscaping Company since 1981 !
Spring Lawn Care Tips: As the temperatures keep rising, there is no confusion that summer is almost here in New Mexico. These next few months encourage great growth and are some of the most important of the year when it comes to your lawn. We encourage visiting some of the topics below with our staff and technicians to make certain your lawn is covered. Here are some tips worth visiting:
- Is your watering and irrigation system set up on a proper schedule? We recommend watering early in the morning. This allows your lawn to absorb moisture without the worry of too much evaporation. The Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority (“ABCWUA”) wants everyone to “water by the numbers”, which means two days per week in April and May, and three days per week during the summer months.
- Irrigation systems are a vital tool through these months, as the proper set up can both save you time and assist your lawn in maintaining proper watering levels. Have you had your system inspected or are you currently experiencing issues? WaterQuest is staffed with experienced technicians ready to assist you in assuring that your system is good to go for the summer heat. Call us at #505-792-3600 to schedule a visit. If you are a DIY type of person, check out the article, “Take the Guesswork out of Programming an Irrigation Controller”, which can be found at https://www.505outside.com/2021/03/05/take-the-guesswork-out-of-programming-an-irrigation-controller/
- Memorial Day is a great time to fertilize your lawn with a slow release fertilizer. Feeding your lawn with nitrogen will refuel it just before the heat of summer begins. Along with proper watering, fertilizing can help make your lawn strong and resistant to many of the issues that ail neglected lawns. And if you haven’t done so yet, it’s a good idea to dethatch and rake to clean up dead grass, leaves and other material. Dethatching leaves room for new grass to grow in and flourish. Likewise, aerating will stimulate root growth and allow for oxygen to get to the plant roots.
- Don’t forget to mulch and turnover your beds to help maintain the health of any plants in danger of becoming dehydrated during the hot summer months. A layer of mulch will help prevent the germination of weeds, help moderate the soil temperature and retain moisture during dry weather, reducing the need for watering. Overall, adding mulch to your garden will increase your plant sizes 30-40% and that means more beautiful and lush gardens all summer long! Please call WaterQuest at #505-792-3600 for all your mulching needs.